Sunday, April 19, 2015

Dalmatian

When I was about six years old, I saw the movie 101 Dalmatians.  It was my favorite childhood movie; seeing various animals work together to save the Dalmatian puppies made me feel really excited.  Ever since then, I fell in love with animals, especially dogs.

I love all breeds of dogs, but when I saw a Dalmatian in real life, I couldn’t take my eyes off of that beautiful creature.  It was perfectly tall, well-proportioned, and simply stunning.  If you ask me what breed of dog I want as a pet, I would say a Dalmatian.  They are smart, beautiful, and most importantly, they don’t have a doggy odor.  I’ll explain why they don’t smell later.

The Dalmatian, famous mascot for the firehouse, is a large breed of dog with spots all over its body.  In fact, there are spots even inside their mouth.  However, when they are born, Dalmatian puppies have no spots and they develop spots within three weeks after birth.  Dalmatians originated in Croatia in Europe and in earlier days, they were used as carriage dogs.  Today, Dalmatians are well-loved family pets.
Dalmatian puppies!  They don't have spots yet.
The Dalmatian coat is usually short, fine, and dense.  They shed considerably year-round, but they do not shed that much.  They also don’t have that doggy smell and stay relatively clean due to the minimal amount of oil in their coats.

In terms of health, Dalmatians are a fairly healthy breed.  However, they are prone to certain health problems specific to their breed, such as deafness, allergies and urinary stones.  They live around 12 years but can live longer.
Unfortunately, the Dalmatian breed suffered greatly at the hands of irresponsible breeders and inexperienced owners as it rapidly became popular due to the Disney movie 101 Dalmatians.  Many people got Dalmatians without being prepared for the responsibilities that come along with owning such a high-energy dog breed.  Dalmatians were abandoned in large numbers by their owners and were left with animal shelters.  It is important to learn about the breed before you get it, and teachmehowtodoggyy will help you be prepared to become a good owner.


Disney's 101 Dalmatians inspired this man named Nelson Vergara to take in as many Dalmatians as he could find.  So far, he has rescued all the starving and sick dogs he found; he fed and took care of them with donations since he doesn’t have a paying job.  His goal is to help all unfortunate dogs, not only Dalmatians.  “I wanted to help – not just the Dalmatians but all dogs, because in Chile we need a solution to the canine problem,”

No comments:

Post a Comment